The First Burn and Tunneling
The first burn of a candle is the most important! If a candle isn't given proper time to melt the wax to the edge of the container, subsequent burns will likely never reach the edge, and you will create a tunnel. To begin, burn your candle one hour for each inch in diameter of the candle up to a maximum of four hours.
After the First Burn
Wicks and Bath Co. uses high-quality 100% soy wax in our candles, creating a creamy texture and smooth tops. Once soy wax is melted, it can look a little disfigured, but rest assured this is normal.
Trimming a Wooden Wick
The wooden wicks used in the Wicks and Bath Co. candles come pre-trimmed to about 1/8" for the first burn. For subsequent burns, trim the wick to about 1/8" or break off the burnt wick (once it's thoroughly cooled – and the melted wax hardens) and remove that burnt wick from the vessel. This will encourage a cleaner burn and a brighter, pleasing flame.
Burn for 4 Hours at a Time, Max!
Once a candle has been burning for four hours, extinguish it and let it cool for 1-2 hours before trimming the wick and relighting.
- As a point of safety, and for a clean burn, keep candles away from moving air\drafts\places where water can get into the candle.
- Keep candles away from any additional heat sources or ANYTHING flammable.
- Keep candles away from pets and children.
- Never touch or move a burning candle. The container will be warm and moving it could splash liquid wax out of the container.
- If the flame or wick becomes too large (over ¾"), extinguish the flame, let the candle cool, and trim the wick.
- Keep a burning candle within your sight. If you leave the room, extinguish the candle first.
- Finally, but most importantly: NEVER USE WATER TO PUT OUT A CANDLE OR ALLOW WATER TO GET INTO THE HOT WAX POOL, as this can cause the hot wax to splatter uncontrollably and potentially cause an injury. Use the lid your candle came with and place it on the candle to snuff it out.
Follow the 1/2" Rule!
Please follow the 1/2" rule. This states that a candle should be extinguished, and it's use discontinued once 1/2" of wax remains in the candle container. This is to prevent the flame from damaging the surface below the candle and/or overheating the bottom of the container.